Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Luna Bars

I. Love. Luna bars. In fact, they’re pretty much a staple for me when I’m at school and have an early morning class. Paired with coffee, that’s my usual 8AM class breakfast.

lunabar1

However, Luna bars are so expensive! $5.50 for a box of six? No thanks, I’ll pass. Wanting to enjoy the deliciousness of Luna bars but still wanting to save money, I looked up how to make my own. Needless to say, I was slightly disappointed when I found only three or four recipes, and nearly all were variations of the same one sourced to Chocolate Covered Katie.  Not only that, they contained ingredients that were hard to find or I hadn’t heard of- Agave isn’t something I usually have around my house, and I had never even heard of brown rice syrup.

lunabar2

So I decided to create my own, with simple ingredients you probably already have sitting around your pantry, or can just run over to your basic, non- specialty grocery store for. That place down the street that’s even simpler than Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods.

Honey, Rice Crispies, Oatmeal, Nut butter, and dark chocolate make up the cast of characters in my Luna Bars.  All easy to get and good for you! Yes, dark chocolate IS good for you in small amounts. My father, the doctor, says so. Anti-oxidants and all that Jazz.

lunabar4

These are softer and chewier than your standard Luna bar, due to the usage of all-natural peanut butter and the addition of quick oats. But as my grandmother would say, that’s just how you know they’re homemade! The best part about these bars- they’re no bake; making them the perfect summer recipe- no suffocating heat coming from your oven, and excellent running fuel.

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Luna Bars
Author:
Serves: 16

Luna bars that are just as good for you but much cheaper than the storebought version!
Ingredients
  • 2¼ C Rice Crispy Cereal
  • ¾ C quick oats (If you only have rolled oats, you can make quick oats by pulsing them in a food processor or blender a few times.)
  • 1 C Peanut butter (or other nut butter if you prefer)
  • 1 scant C honey
  • 1½ Tbs cocoa powder
  • 1 6 0z dark chocolate baking bar (I used ghirardelli 60% cocoa baking bar)
Instructions
  1. Line a square 8x8 or 9x9 cake pan with wax paper and set aside
  2. Mix together cereal, oats, and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and honey in the microwave for 30 seconds and mix together until smooth and combined. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix in, making sure all of the cereal is coated and all of the oats and cocoa are incorporated.
  4. press into the prepared pan. place another piece of wax paper and press down, making sure the mixture is spread across the entire pan.
  5. Chill for 5-10 minutes in the refrigerator. While chilling, melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted. Pour on the cereal mixture. Chill for 30-60 minutes in the freezer before cutting and serving.
Notes
When storing, if staking the bars, place a piece of wax paper between each layer to prevent the bars from sticking to one another.

May be linked to any of these parties.

19 Comments on Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Luna Bars

1. joyfromyesterfood
    May 2, 2013 at 11:04 am (4 years ago)

What a great recipe for Luna Bars! I love that you used readily-available ingredients! 🙂

Love, Joy @ Yesterfood.blogspot.com

2. Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food And Such
    May 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm (4 years ago)

I love this, pinning!!
    I would have to sub Sunbutter for PB (my hubs is allergic) – can’t wait to try it out :o) Luna Bars can get costly.
    Stopping by from Krista’s link-up

• faithcatherine
      May 2, 2013 at 12:13 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for the pin Kim, and thanks for stopping by!

• faithcatherine
      May 2, 2013 at 1:57 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, let me know how yours turn out!

3. rebacox
    May 2, 2013 at 3:34 pm (4 years ago)

I love Chocolate Covered Katies blog! But seriously what is brown rice syrup?!?

4. crazyforcrust
    May 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm (4 years ago)

I love this recipe – Luna bars are SO good and so expensive!

5. Sally
    May 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm (4 years ago)

mmm I love luna bars too! What a great way to save some $$ and feel better about the ingredients inside.

6. Winnie
    May 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm (4 years ago)

These look just wonderful, and I love your recipe!

7. BruCrew Life
    May 6, 2013 at 7:45 am (4 years ago)

Great idea to make your own and save some money. I love that I have all these ingredients actually in my cupboard making these so easy to make up!!!

8. BruCrew Life
    May 6, 2013 at 7:47 am (4 years ago)

I’m not sure if my first comment went through or not, so sorry if this ends up on here twice. Great looking bars. I love the homemade version of the Luna Bar using items I have in my cupboards. YUM!

9. kristascookin
    May 15, 2013 at 10:15 am (4 years ago)

Thank you so much for linking this fabulous recipe up with me on Great Idea Thursday’s! I love to make my own energy bites but I haven’t made bars like this before. They are so expensive to buy and I love making my own because you can get the flavors just the way you like them! I just pinned your recipe 🙂 Thanks again! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

• faithcatherine
      May 15, 2013 at 10:43 am (4 years ago)

Thanks so much for the pin Krista!

10. Angela
    February 15, 2014 at 6:14 pm (3 years ago)

Do they need to be stored/ kept refrigerated?

• faith
      February 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Angela! Yes, the bars should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated because the texture is so soft. If you stack the bars, place a piece of wax paper between the different layers to prevent sticking.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Luna Bars

Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'comment_style' not found or invalid function name in /home/faibur1/pixiedustkitchen.com/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php on line 180