The other day I went to Target to buy some clothes for my upcoming Disneyland trip- a dangerous thing to do the day you get hired at a new job. I ended up leaving the store with peanut butter, peanut butter chips, honey, pink lemonade frosting (because omg reasons)… and no clothes.
To celebrate finally finding a job (after two months of unemployment mixed with post disney depression), I made cake pops! Pink lemonade cake pops, in fact. Because what better way to Ray Ban outlet celebrate finding a job and summer than to make a “summer” cake you can eat on a stick?
So let’s walk through how to make a cake pop. First you bake a cake- any cake you want. I used a Betty Crocker box mix for a yellow cake, but you can make any cake your heart desires- homemade, box mix, semi-homemade; just follow your heart. I figured since I was adding flavors, it didn’t matter what type. Just make sure you use an unflavored yellow or white cake.
Then, you crush it up into small pieces; add in frosting, and mix it all together until it’s sticky enough to roll into balls. I used about 3/4 of my can of frosting. I also added in a few teaspoons of lemonade mix to make the flavor stronger.
Roll into balls and chill for about an hour.
Melt your frosting; I used a makeshift double broiler with a cassorole dish and a pot of simmering water. We’ll be using white chocolate for the coating, and sprinkles, because how can we forget sprinkles?
I like to put some chocolate on the sticks before putting them in the pops because it holds better. Chill for 30 minutes after doing this.
Then you dip them in chocolate, coat them in sprinkles, and let them chill for 1-2 hours.
And there you have it- a wonderful summer treat for any occasion! It’s the middle of graduation season, (My cousin Beth graduated yesterday! Go Beth!) and I’m sure any graduate would appreciate these!
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box.
- 1 can Pillsbury Pink Lemonade Frosting
- 2 tsp lemonade mix
- 1 package lollipop or cake pop sticks (can be found in most baking aisles or at craft stores.)
- 1 package white chocolate melting chocolate
- Make cake according to instructions. Let cool, and break apart into crumbs.
- Mix in frosting until cake can be rolled into balls without crumbling or falling apart. mix in lemonade.
- Roll into balls and chill for 1 hour. While pops are chilling melt chocolate on stovetop, double broiler, or microwave. Dip in chocolate and insert into cake pops. Let chill for 30 minutes.
- Dip pops into chocolate. coat on sprinkles. Let chill for 1-2 hours.