Homemade Pita Chips and Hummus

pitachips1

So let’s talk life for a moment. According to my dentist, I have a bunch of cavities in my mouth. I have no idea what he meant by “a bunch,” but needless to say, I want to keep my teeth. I came home from the dentist, ate three chocolate chip cookies  and resolved to eat better and create some healthier recipes- starting with these homemade pita chips and hummus.

pitachips2

My favorite part about these recipes is how easier they are! I made them both less than half an hour total. They’re so incredibly easy and healthy. For the hummus, all you need one can of chick peas- or garbanzo beans. I didn’t realize they were the same thing, so after not finding them in maglie calcio poco prezzo Safeway I made a 20 minute treck to Trader Joe’s, wandered around for 15 minutes, and finally asked someone who worked there… only to be told that garbanzo beans and chick peas were the same thing. So yeah. Heads up.

pitachips5

Anyway, all you need is a food processor or blender, some olive oil, and a 15 oz can of chick peas. It could not be simpler. I added in some garlic, salt, and pepper as well for taste. For the pita chips, you simply brush some pita rounds with olive oil & spices, sprinkle on sea salt, slice, and bake for 10 minutes.

pitachips4

This is one of my favorite recipes on this blog and I see it becoming a staple in my house! Plus, with minimal oven time, pita chips and hummus are a perfect summertime recipe.

Recipe:

for the chips:

• 4 pita rounds
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp oregano
  • sea salt, to taste.

for the hummus

• 1 15 oz can chick peas
  • 4 tsp olive oil
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  1. To make the chips: Mix olive oil and spices. Brush on pita rounds and sprinkle on sea salt. Slice each pita round into 12 pieces and arrange on baking sheet. Bake at 350˚ for 10 minutes. Halfway through flip chips over.
  2. To make the hummus: Place chick peas in canister of food processor and blend until smooth. Add olive oil and mix until combined. Add spices and combine.

Linked to: buns in my oven

11 Comments on Homemade Pita Chips and Hummus

• faithcatherine
      June 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you so much! I’ll go check it out!

• faithcatherine
      June 5, 2013 at 11:46 pm (5 years ago)

I did consider making homemade pita, and I definitely plan to someday, I just didn’t have enough time today. Thanks for the link!

1. koukla76
    June 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm (5 years ago)

I love hummus and yours looks amazingly delicious! I admire how you went above and beyond making homemade pita chips. By the time I make my hummus and the other entrees, I’m just too pooped and I cop out by buying a bag of store made chips or crackers. Lol.

• faithcatherine
      June 6, 2013 at 6:10 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you! It really wasn’t that hard; I made the hummus while the pita chips were in the oven. The nice thing about pita and hummus is that they can be made in advance; so you can concentrate more on the entree!

2. Sally
    June 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm (5 years ago)

For as much homemade hummus that I make, I should try homemade pita chips too. Homemade is SO much better than storebought!

3. BruCrew Life
    June 7, 2013 at 12:03 am (5 years ago)

I heart hummus! Especially home made!! This looks fantastic!

4. rebacox
    June 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm (5 years ago)

Homemade pita chips! Such a great idea. Its funny how easy stuff like that is to make but yet we always but them! I made homemade croutons the other day and my boyfriend was sooo impressed! He would love these too.

5. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen
    June 9, 2013 at 8:08 am (5 years ago)

This all looks so yummy! I keep wanting to try making homemade hummus, but have never got around it. I think you’ve inspired me to give it a go!

6. kristascookin
    July 1, 2013 at 11:43 am (4 years ago)

I haven’t made hummus for a long time and I don’t even remember what recipe I used. I will be trying this one out! Krista @ A Handful of Everything