Don’t forget, just one more week to switch from google reader! Have you followed me on bloglovin yet?
My AC is currently broken, and it is HOT. And humid. I’m a Pennsylvania girl; I’m not good with humidity. Thank you, Chesapeake bay! (Seriously. The humidity is the hardest part about Baltimore summers and I DO NOT like it.)
So I decided to make some peach lemonade to combat the heat, and also because both Brian and I grew up on powdered drink mixes and I found it was time to change that. Homemade > store bought That’s my latest goal in the kitchen- to homemake as much as possible.
There are three main components to peach lemonade. First, a simple syrup composed of 2 C sugar and 3 C water, boiled together and chilled. Next, a peach syrup, made by heating 4 peaches cheap oakley sunglasses and 2 tbs sugar in a saucepan and letting the melted sugar and juices from the peaches simmer together. And third, the lemons- juiced and run through a strainer. Making the three parts is the hardest part- all you have to do after that is mix them together and add water!
One of my favorite things about summer is the low fruit prices. I hated strawberry lemonade as a child, but now that I’m older I want to add fruit to everything, including my precious lemonade. (One of the non-water drinks I drink regularly). Perfect refreshing drink for the heat of summer, and I plan on making a huge pitcher of it for the fourth of July!
- 3-4 small peaches pitted and sliced
- 4-5 medium lemons
- 2 C + 2 Tbs granulated sugar, divided.
- 3 C water, plus more to add to the syrup/lemon mixture
- To make the simple syrup: Boil over medium heat 2 C sugar with 3 C water until the sugar is melted. Remove from the heat and let chill until thick.
- To make the peach syrup: Place prepared peaches in a medium saucepan with 2 Tbs sugar. Mix together until sugar is melted and peaches have released some of their juices. Let simmer for 5 minutes. With a fork or potato masher, mash up the peaches and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and squish around the peaches to make sure all of the juices are released. Mix into simple syrup and let chill.
- To make lemon juice mix: Halve and juice lemons. To juice, use a hand juicer. If you don’t have one, use one paddle of a hand mixer. Squeeze lemon halves to make sure all of the juice is released. Pour through a mesh strainer to get rid of seeds and pulp. Let chill.
- To assemble: Pour lemon juice into a pitcher. Add 1/3 of syrup mixture. Mix in water to fill pitcher. If too sweet, add more lemon. If not sweet enough, add more syrup. You may have some syrup leftover. Serve immediately over ice; but can me made 1-2 days in advance.
- Store in refrigerator for up to a week.