I realize I’m fairly behind on this popcorn snack mix trend. But I just really wanted to make this!
I’ve been craving popcorn practically all week, and I decided to make some. While we have an air popcorn maker, I wanted more than just plain popped kernels. I wanted a popcorn coated in chocolate and caramel-y goodness.
A few weeks ago, Dorothy at CrazyforCrust make oreo peanut butter. I made a smaller batch and coated the popcorn in oreo butter, as well as melted caramel creams. I admit, a lot of the reason for using caramel was to use up the caramel creams leftover from Monday’s stuffed cookies.
Honestly, this popcorn craving is really weird for me. I normally never want popcorn- I hardly even like it! I think it’s all the time I’ve been spending in movie theaters It’s weird; once I started dating Brian and he started paying for my movies, I’ve been seeing a lot more movies!
While I’m not much of a popcorn eater, I do really enjoy this popcorn. So does my dad- he can’t get enough. Every night when he comes home from work he snacks on some, and after the shoot for these pictures, I kept snacking on them because the bowl was next to me. That normally never happens- I take the pictures, eat a little bit of the food (a cookie or two), and the food gets put away to take to church or for my parents to eat. Not this time!
This is a super simple recipe, too- the hardest part is the oreo cookie butter. Simply blend peanuts in your food processor and add some crunched up oreo cookies. Melt the caramel creams in your microwave and pour over the popcorn, but be very, very, careful. Melted caramel is very hot and you could burn yourself- I have the marks on my fingers to prove it! You must work quickly and carefully here before the caramel hardens.
- 1 bag popcorn (with as little butter as possible; I used low-fat butter flavor)
- 1 C cocktail peanuts
- 5 oreo cookies (I cheated and used target store brand)
- 20 caramel creams
- 1 tbs heavy cream
- Pop the popcorn according to package directions.
- Blend the peanuts in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Add the Oreos, breaking them in half so they blend faster. Blend until smooth and combined.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the caramels in 30 second increments, stirring between. When completely melted, stir in the cream.
- Pour caramel over the popcorn and carefully stir so the popcorn is evenly coated. Add the oreo butter.
- Let chill so the peanut butter sets up (if desired) or serve immediately.