Chex cereal coated in a chocolate caramel sauce and powdered sugar, mixed with peanuts and caramel bits. A family favorite!
Before anyone freaks out, this is not dog food! It’s chocolate deliciousness coated chex cereal- not suitable for dogs at all.
Puppy Chow (Or Muddy Buddies, whatever you prefer to call this) was always a staple at youth group retreats growing up. And while I loved the traditional chocolate peanut butter version, after seeing all the other different versions over the internet, I was inspired to create my own unique flavor.
Enter snickers bars. One of my favorite candy bars, and certainty one of the most addicting, why not use it to create a puppy chow flavor? Like mini snickers bars, this puppy chow is dangerously addicting! It won’t last long in your house. My dad told me to hide it so he wouldn’t keep snacking on it!
Instead of mixing chocolate and peanut butter together, we mix chocolate and caramel- another delicious combination! We’ll add some butter and milk to help the chocolate chips melt. Carefully (in a VERY large bowl!) pour the mixture over chex cereal, and stir, being sure not to crush the cereal. Then comes the best part- pour the cereal into a gallon zip-top bag, add powdered sugar, and shake until all the cereal is covered. Mix in chopped caramels and peanuts and you’re done!
It’s so easy and so addicting- perfect for beach trip snacks, movie nights, or really any time you need an easy, chocolatey- snack.
- 6 C Chex Cereal (1 11-2 oz box)
- 2 C Chocolate Chips
- ¼ C caramel sauce
- ½ C Milk
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 c confectioners sugar
- 1 C peanuts
- 1 C chopped Caramels
- Measure out cereal in a large bow. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan mix together butter and milk. When butter is melted add in chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Add more milk of nessescary. Mix in caramel sauce. Immediately pour over cereal. Carefully mix to cover all cereal.
- Pour into a gallon zip-top bag. Add sugar and shake until covered.
- Mix in peanuts and caramels.
- Puppy Chow will keep for up to 10 days.
Other Snack Mixes…
Oreo Butter Caramel Popcorn