Snickers Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)

Chex cereal coated in a chocolate caramel sauce and powdered sugar, mixed with peanuts and caramel bits. A family favorite!

Snickers Puppy Chow Muddy Buddies. Chocolate and caramel coated chex cereal with caramel and peanuts. From pixiedustktichen.com

Before anyone freaks out, this is not dog food! It’s chocolate deliciousness coated chex cereal- not suitable for dogs at all.

Puppy Chow (Or Muddy Buddies, whatever you prefer to call this) was always a staple at youth group retreats growing up. And while I loved the traditional chocolate peanut butter version, after seeing all the other different versions over the internet, I was inspired to create my own unique flavor.

Enter snickers bars. One of my favorite candy bars, and certainty one of the most addicting, why not use it to create a puppy chow flavor? Like mini snickers bars, this puppy chow is dangerously addicting! It won’t last long in your house. My dad told me to hide it so he wouldn’t keep snacking on it!

Instead of mixing chocolate and peanut butter together, we mix chocolate and caramel- another delicious combination! We’ll add some butter and milk to help the chocolate chips melt.  Carefully (in a VERY large bowl!) pour the mixture over chex cereal, and stir, being sure not to crush the cereal. Then comes the best part- pour the cereal into a gallon zip-top bag, add powdered sugar, and shake until all the cereal is covered.  Mix in chopped caramels and peanuts and you’re done!

It’s so easy and so addicting- perfect for beach trip snacks, movie nights, or really any time you need an easy, chocolatey- snack.

Snickers Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
Author:
Recipe type: Snack

Chex cereal covered in chocolate and caramel, mixed with peanuts and caramel bits.
Ingredients
  • 6 C Chex Cereal (1 11-2 oz box)
  • 2 C Chocolate Chips
  • ¼ C caramel sauce
  • ½ C Milk
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 2 c confectioners sugar
  • 1 C peanuts
  • 1 C chopped Caramels

Instructions
  1. Measure out cereal in a large bow. Set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan mix together butter and milk. When butter is melted add in chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Add more milk of nessescary. Mix in caramel sauce. Immediately pour over cereal. Carefully mix to cover all cereal.
  3. Pour into a gallon zip-top bag. Add sugar and shake until covered.
  4. Mix in peanuts and caramels.
  5. Puppy Chow will keep for up to 10 days.

Other Snack Mixes…

Oreo Butter Caramel Popcorn
caramel oreo butter popcorn | Pixie Dust Kitchen #oreo #peanutbutter #popcorn

15 Comments on Snickers Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)

• faithcatherine
      August 7, 2013 at 11:34 am (9 months ago)

They were perfect for movie night, thanks Cathy!

1. noyomoco
    August 7, 2013 at 10:04 am (9 months ago)

I love snickers AND puppy chow – this sounds so fabulous! :) I’m totally craving this now! I’ll blame it on the baby ;)

• faithcatherine
      August 7, 2013 at 11:20 am (9 months ago)

Thanks Jennifer! Good plan blaming the baby for the cravings, that must be it. ;) (And you can also blame the baby for eating half the bag; it’s that good!)

2. cookingactress
    August 7, 2013 at 10:19 am (9 months ago)

Mmm I love puppy chow and this variation looks super tasty!

3. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    August 7, 2013 at 11:53 am (9 months ago)

What a treat! Sign me up for a afternoon of reading and eating your puppy chow, yum!

4. Miss Messy
    August 7, 2013 at 7:18 pm (9 months ago)

Nom nom nom .. pinned this even though I can’t get Chex cereal I might have to try and get some!

• faithcatherine
      August 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm (9 months ago)

Thanks for the pin! You can really use any neutral- tasting square cereal, although the ratios of sauce to cereal might be slightly different. Chex is a rice cereal, so you can try to find something similar over there! https://widgets.wp.com/notes/?v=2013080a#

• faithcatherine
      August 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm (9 months ago)

Thanks Tina! You telly need to try it!

5. The Domestic Rebel
    August 9, 2013 at 9:49 am (9 months ago)

Heavens to friggin’ Betsey, this needs to get in my face.

6. BruCrew Life
    August 12, 2013 at 2:07 am (8 months ago)

Haha, I always laugh at the thought of someone thinking puppy chow is actually not dog food. Then I remember not everyone knows what is going on in our baking/cooking world! ;)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Snickers Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)

Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'comment_style' not found or invalid function name in /home/faibur1/pixiedustkitchen.com/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1694