I cannot even begin to tell you the number of times I sat down and tried to write this post.
These were supposed to go up Monday. And then Wednesday. But they’re going up today, Friday. As it does, life happened, and I got lazy, and went on vacation, and remembered that it’s important to blog for me and this is my place to do what I want but I do like keeping a schedule.
(Also, do you know how hard it is to write a post on a kindle app? It’s not easy. And the apple app isn’t any easier. I almost pulled my hair out this weekend.)
Back to the matter at hand- cupcakes! That look like Minnie Mouse! And are adorable! And I am super proud that I pulled this off and that these made it out of my kitchen!
I made these for Disney night at a friends house- Disney movie marathons clearly call for Disney themed snacks, and it’s at the point now where I’m basically expected to show up at parties and social events with a plate of food.
I don’t mind at all.
These look adorable, and are incredibly easy to decorate- all you need is some white nonparil sprinkles (available at craft and baking supply stores, mine are Wilton brand bought at Michael’s.), a Wilton 1M tip (or another open star tip) and mini (not to be confused with Minnie) Oreo cookies. Oh, and some gel food dye- I used Wilton Brand that I bought at Michaels- and frosting bags, but you can use gallon zip top bags if you prefer. (Side note: I’m not sponsored by Wilton. Their products are just really, really easy to get ahold of, and very affordable and trustworthy.)
Once the cupcakes are cooled and the frosting is prepared, swirl the frosting on with 1M tip and top with sprinkles. Scrape the icing off the Oreo’s and place on cupcakes. Done. Easy. Including the time to prepare the icing, these took 30 minutes to decorate. I don’t have a recipe for the cupcakes; I simply took my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe and subtracted some flour and added some cocoa powder. The frosting recipe will work with any cupcake recipe that yields 12 cupcakes.
Minnie Mouse Disney Cupcakes:
What You’ll Need:
- Chocolate cupcake recipe of your choice + ingredients.
- Wilton 1M frosting tip
- Frosting Bag
- Red gel coloring
- white nonpareil sprinkles
- 24 mini oreos
- 2 C butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 C confectioners sugar
- Prepare cupcakes according to directions. Set aside and let cool.
- Make the Buttercream: Beat butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy. Add in the sugar a little at a time, making sure it is mixed in fully. Add the vanilla extract and cream 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Add coloring with a toothpick slowly until desired shade is reached. (I added in 4 toothpicks of frosting to reach a bright pink.)
- Add frosting to frosting bag fitted with a large open star tip. Swirl frosting on cupcakes and top with sprinkles. Divide the Oreos and scrape out the frosting. Add one Oreo half to each side of cupcakes.
Other cupcakes recipes:
Funfetti Cupcakes with Cotton Candy Frosting
Strawberry Shortcake Flavored Cupcakes