Thick, soft-baked chocolate cookies with crushed Oreos mixed in.
I’ve done death by peanut butter, now time for death by chocolate. Soft baked chocolate cookies, stuffed with crushed Oreo cookies- nothing better! I took my chocolate cookie base that I used for my Nutella stuffed Chocolate cookies and adapted it- using browned butter, and adding more cornstarch to create soft, chewy, thick, brownie- like cookies.
The browned butter adds a hint of nuttiness that you can’t quite put your finger on, and because it’s melted you don’t have to drag out your mixer, and adds chewiness to the cookie. The cornstarch keeps the cookies nice and thick- just how I like them!
I was feeling lazy, so I browned the butter. Using a melted butter means no dragging out a heavy stand mixer, and I had a friend visiting and she wanted to know how to brown butter. Browning butter is super easy- simply melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it is completely melted, start stirring or whisking. It will bubble and foam, and brown specks will begin to appear. Remove from the heat so the butter won’t burn.
We’ll mix it into our sugars and let it sit; this will give the butter time to cool, and this also melts the sugar a bit and creates a caramel/toffee flavor. Then we mix in our eggs and dry ingredients. These are so easy- the hardest part is waiting for the dough to chill!
After the dough chills, we scoop them in 2 tablespoon size scoops, roll them into balls, and roll the balls in crushed Oreos. I used a 2 tablespoon size cookie scoop, but if you don’t have that, use a measuring spoon. Bake for 7-8 minutes (or until edges are “set up”)but not longer. They’ll look underdone when you pull them out, but they’ll finish baking as they cool. They’ll be puffy when you pull them out- gently press down with the back of a spoon, and press some more Oreo crumbs on top.
These are the best, thickest, chocolate cookies I’ve ever made, and I am in love. You will be too, after just one bite!
- 1 C Butter
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- ½ C granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- ¾ C cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 and ½ C crushed oreos. (about 1 bag mini oreos or 12-14 full size oreos.
- Brown your butter: Melt butter over medium heat. It will foam, bubble, and foam again. Once brown specks appear, remove from heat. Mix sugars together in a medium bowl and mix in browned butter. Let sit for a few minutes. Mix in vanilla extract and eggs.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Slowly mix into wet ingredients. Mix in milk. Let chill for 1-2 hours and up to 24.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon size scoops of cookie dough. Roll into balls and roll in crushed Oreo Cookies. Bake for 7-8 minutes, until edges are done and slightly cracked. Press gently with spoon to "deflate" and press more Oreos on top. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to a wire wrack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
More chocolate cookies:
Healthy Chocolate Cookies
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Cookies