Get a taste of summer with these easy lemon truffles! All you need is a bag of Oreo cookies and some cream cheese to get started.
I know it’s Valentines Day, but I couldn’t help but share a new recipe that’s making me ready for summer! You can try some of my Valentines day recipes here, here, or here.
Let’s just all agree that as far as January’s go, 2014 has been pretty cray. Two polar vortexes, overuse of “#snowpocalypse due to weekly snowstorms (even in Alabama and Texas! Whaaat?), power outages all over Eastern PA (and possibly elsewhere) and near 0˚F temperatures.
I’m ready for summer! So when I saw Lemon Oreo’s in the store, I had to grab them and make myself some summer-tastin’ truffles. I’m sure you all know the drill with Oreo Truffles by now: crushed Oreos, cream cheese, and covered in chocolate and sprinkles. It’s nothing new, but it’s a classic favorite in my world.
But in case you’re new to the Oreo truffle world, let me break it down for you. We take a package of Oreo Cookies (give or take a few; mine was missing three because I ate a few.) Crush them up- I used my food processor, but you may also use a blender, or a zip-top bag and a rolling pin. Then we’ll mix in eight ounces of cream cheese! I used a small container of softened cream cheese. (NOT a cream cheese spread. I haven’t tried so I don’t know if those will work, but feel free to try.) Next, roll them into balls and freeze! I used my 1 and 1/2 tablespoon size cookie scoop to do this. This is a little big, I recommend making them 1 tablespoon size. Freezing will help the chocolate stick to the balls.
Then, we cover them in chocolate! I recommend using white chocolate melting wafers, such as Ghiradelli’s, and using this tutorial for covering the truffles. After covering, I sprinkled on some yellow sanding sugar, and popped them back in the freezer just to make sure they were completely covered.
These small bite- sized treats are perfect for pretending it’s summer when you’re stuck inside during a snowstorm.
- 1 package Lemon Oreo Cookies
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8-12 oz white chocolate melting wafers
- sprinkles (optional)
- Crush Oreo cookies in a food processor or ziptop bag with a rolling pin.
- Move to large bowl and mix in cream cheese.
- Place a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Roll truffle mixture into 1 tablespoon size balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Freeze for 1- 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. Dip frozen truffles in chocolate and place back on baking sheet. Top with sprinkles and chill for one more hour.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to a week. Truffles freeze well.