Happy Monday, friends!
Today we’re starting the week off with a sugar coma. Sometimes you just need that, you know? This week is a very special week on the blog- it’s Pixie Dust Kitchen’s one year blogiversary… ish.
Technically, February is the blogiversary. However, I didn’t start seriously posting until March, when I left my internship at Walt Disney World and needed something to fill my time. So I threw myself into food blogging, and haven’t turned back (except to write papers).
So you don’t mind starting this week with a bunch of sugar to celebrate, do you? Good.
These cupcakes look hard, but they’re actually very easy. We start with a chocolate cupcake- I used the same recipe as my Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Cupcakes, but you may use any recipe you prefer. I changed it up to make it a little easier and less complicated.
Next we make caramel! Don’t be scared- we’re taking a shortcut by using Kraft Caramel Bits*. Simply melt the caramel bits on the stove with two tablespoons of milk until you have a smooth caramel sauce. I tried to do this in the microwave, but it did not work, so unfortunately a stovetop is needed.
Once the cupcakes are cooled and the caramel sauce is made, cut a small portion out of the top of the cupcake. Sally from Sally’s Baking Addiction provides a good visual of filling cupcakes here. (about halfway down the post.) Pour some caramel into the center of the cupcake and place the part you cut out back in. Frost and drizzle with the remaining caramel sauce! I used a can of frosting (I know, the shame!) but feel free to use any you prefer. I used a Wilton 12 tip to pipe the swirls on, but feel free to spread the frosting on with a knife. The choice is yours!
- 1 and ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 and ½ sticks) butter
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 and ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons coffee (brewed; I used leftover from my morning coffee. can be omitted if desired.)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- One bag Kraft Caramel Bits
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder. Remove from heat. Whisk in coffee, vanilla extract, and eggs one at a time.
- Slowly whisk in milk.
- Slowly mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients; mixing until everything is just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners about ⅔ of the way full; or ¼ cup per cupcake.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out with no batter.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, stir together caramel bits and milk.
- When cupcakes are cool, cut a small hole into the center of the cupcake. Fill with caramel and top with the cupcake bit you pulled out. (See tutorial linked in post).
- Frost cupcake and drizzle with more caramel.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Cupcakes
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes