Chewy chocolate cookies stuffed with marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate chips. An at-home recreation of my favorite bakery cookie!
Yes, I am aware that I have done this twice before. (Here and here.) But guys…. I really like s’mores. And cookies. When I think of summer, I think of s’mores. Many of my nights from April- early September were spent around a bonfire with my youth group or class at school, making mountain pies, hotdogs, and of course, s’mores. S’mores just scream summer to me and bring back so many memories of of growing up. And cookies… I think we all know how much I love cookies. They’re so easy to make, portable, and can easily serve many people.
There’s a cookie shop here in Philly called Insomnia Cookies. They sell fresh, soft, warm, amazing cookies- AND they deliver. Up until 3AM. Basically, it’s the best place ever. When you get a craving for cookies at 11PM, just pop online, order, and have fresh baked cookies delivered to you within the hour. It’s love at first bite.
My favorite is their s’mores cookie. It’s a chocolate cookie base with pieces of graham crackers, mini marshmallows, and a handful of chocolate chips. Lucky for YOU lovely readers, I’ve created it at home so you can try it too. And if you’re ever in Philly, head over to Center City (please make sure to know where you are!) or Bryn Mawr in the suburbs, and order this cookie STAT.
I used my favorite chocolate cookie base, and mixed in graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate chips. Like many cookie recipes, this cookie dough needs to be chilled. I’m sure you all have much more patience than I do when it comes to baking, but if you don’t, I have a solution! I flash froze this dough. I scooped it out onto cookie sheets and stuck it in the freezer while the oven preheated. This gives us cold cookie dough in less than 15 minutes and no extra time is used. I also only baked one cookie sheet at a time (something I do all the time), giving some of the dough extra chilling time.
One more note before the recipe: Because we are using “real,” sticky marshmallows, the cookie sheets MUST be lined. I recommend using a silicone baking mat as it is the easiest to use and is reusable. However, you may also use parchment paper. I don’t recommend wax paper at all as it will burn and smoke when the wax melts.
With those tips in mind, make these cookies for your next picnic, barbecue, or bonfire!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 full-size graham crackers, broken into large pieces
- 1 and ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Cream together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Add in eggs, one at a time.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly mix into the butter/ sugar mixture. Mix in milk.
- Stir in graham cracker pieces, marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
- Scoop in 1 and ½ tablespoon size mounds onto lined cookie sheets and place in freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Once the oven is preheated, bake cookies for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are starting to crack. The cookies may look underdone in the center at this point- this is okay; they will continue to cook as they cool. Allow to finish cooking and "set up" on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire wrack to finish cooling.
More S’mores Treats…
S’mores Rolled Cookies
S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies