Fudgy brownies loaded with mint M&Ms and topped with a simple mint chocolate chip buttercream. They are reminiscent of the classic ice cream from childhood. These brownies are easy to make for summer parties and are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania. While there were many farms, it was large enough downtown to not be a “farm town,” but it was small enough, to have lots of great homemade and home-cooked foods. There was one ice cream shop that we went to all the time when I was a kid, after dance practices and on hot summer nights. This became a favorite place to visit, and while there were plenty of places closer to our home, we would drive the extra 15 minutes for Bill Mack’s Ice Cream.
I went through a phase where I ate nothing but mint chocolate chip ice cream, and Bill Mack? His was the best. I got mint chocolate chip every time we went. Of course, it had to be green- white mint chocolate ice cream was just weird. As I near my 21st birthday, I’ve been craving flavors that remind me of my childhood, and once I got the idea for mint chocolate chip brownies, I couldn’t stop until I had them in my possession.
I used the base recipe I created last February, and changed it up just a bit. I added mint chocolate M&Ms and topped with a mint chocolate buttercream. I originally wanted to use Andes Mint chips, but unfortunately could not find them in my grocery. However, you are more than welcome to use those if you can find them! I found the M&Ms worked just as well, however.
The buttercream is a simple buttercream, with a stick of butter, a cup of powdered sugar, and some peppermint extract. I also added green food coloring for that classic Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream look. I used two drops of neon green and two drops of normal. I had accidentally used neon at first, then found the classic color. You may use whatever green food coloring you prefer, or leave it out if that’s more your taste. Both liquid or gel will work.
These brownies are soft moist, and are sure to be a hit! These are EXTREMELY sweet- cut them small! I ended up cutting these in half after I finished the photos before I brought them into work- where they disappeared quickly!
This recipe is perfect for summer parties and are sure to be a hit!
- ¾ Cup (1 and ½ sticks) butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup mint M&Ms or Andes baking chips
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- dash salt
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract, (You may add more if you prefer a stronger peppermint flavor.)
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray an 8x8'' square pan with non stick baking spray and set aside.
- Mix together melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in baking soda, salt, flour, and cocoa powder. Gently mix in M&Ms.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are slightly cracked and a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Let cool before before frosting.
- MAKE FROSTING:
- Beat butter on high speed with a stand or hand mixer.
- Mix in powdered sugar. When combined and fluffy, mix in salt and peppermint extract.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips and spread over cooled brownies. Cut into 8-12 pieces and serve.
Fudgy M&M Brownies
Biscoff Swirled Brownies
Peanut Butter Cup White Chocolate Brownies